What Is Mortgage Forbearance?Mortgage forbearance is a temporary pause or reduction in your regular monthly payments. You may request forbearance through your mortgage lender or loan servicer if you have a financial hardship, such as a job loss or medical emergency. While a forbearance period can provide relief in the short term, you will still have to pay back every missed or deferred monthly payment. These may involve making larger regular mortgage payments in the future or extending the life of your loan. As you search for information about how to sell your house while in forbearance, consider the key factors.
Key Takeaways: Mortgage Forbearance and Home SellingCan I sell my house while in forbearance? If you make a forbearance agreement and temporarily stop making payments or are making smaller optional payments, you can still sell your home. Here are some key factors to consider:
- Paused Payments: When you sell your house in forbearance, you must pay off all missed or deferred payments at some point. You do not incur late fees during forbearance.
- Mortgage Servicer: Be sure to communicate with your lender when selling a property in forbearance. Inform them of your plans to sell the property and discuss how you will make outstanding and current mortgage payments.
- Property Value: The value of your property may be affected by forbearance. If you have missed regular monthly payments or are in danger of defaulting on your loan, this could impact the appraised value of your property. You may have to pay any difference out of pocket.
- Buyer Perception: Buyers may be hesitant to purchase a property in forbearance as they may be concerned about the financial stability of the seller. Your credit report and credit history may also play a role.
Types of Mortgage ForbearanceThe following types of forbearance can help you when in a bind.
COVID-19 ForbearanceCOVID-19 forbearance was introduced in 2020 by the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) in response to the pandemic. This type of forbearance allows homeowners with federally-backed mortgages to temporarily suspend their regular monthly mortgage payments for up to 18 months. The forbearance period can be extended for an additional six months if needed.
Natural Disaster ForbearanceNatural disaster forbearance is a type of forbearance granted to homeowners affected by natural disasters, such as hurricanes or wildfires. The terms of natural disaster forbearance vary depending on the severity of the disaster and the policies of the mortgage loan servicer.
General ForbearanceGeneral forbearance is granted to homeowners who are experiencing financial hardship due to reasons other than natural disasters or pandemics. This type of forbearance period lasts for a shorter duration than COVID-19 forbearance or natural disaster forbearance. Before you type, sell house while in forbearance Nashville into Google, consider trusted cash investors.
Home Loans Eligible for Mortgage ForbearanceForbearance can provide relief for homeowners and landlords struggling to make their mortgage payments due to a financial situation. However, not all home loans are granted forbearance. Let us discuss the types of home loans eligible for forbearance and how this impacts the ability to sell your house quickly for cash.
Federally Backed MortgagesThese mortgages are loans that the federal government guarantees or insures. These include loans backed by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), Veterans Affairs (VA), and the Department of Agriculture (USDA). Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are federally backed as well. Homeowners with such mortgages are eligible for COVID-19 forbearance, which allows them to suspend mortgage payments for up to 18 months.
Conventional MortgagesConventional mortgages are not guaranteed or insured by the federal government. These loans receive backing from private mortgage lenders and are not eligible for COVID-19 forbearance. However, homeowners with conventional mortgages are eligible for other types of forbearance, such as natural disaster and general forbearance, based on lender policies. As you consider a forbearance plan based on your loan, ensure you know the pros and cons.
Pros of Selling Your Home in Forbearance
- Avoiding Foreclosure – Selling a property in forbearance can help homeowners avoid foreclosures. Foreclosure can cause damaged credit and make it difficult to obtain financing in the future.
- Flexibility – A forbearance plan provides some flexibility with your mortgage payments. This latitude can allow you to allocate more resources towards selling your property and potentially negotiating a better deal. You also do not incur late fees during the forbearance period.
- Quicker Sale – If you need to sell your home quickly for cash, selling in forbearance may be a viable option. Buyers looking for an efficient sale may be more likely to consider properties in forbearance.
Cons of Selling Your Home in Forbearance
- Mortgage Balance – When selling your home in forbearance, you still have to cover the mortgage balance. With this in mind, you may set a higher selling price, which may deter potential buyers.
- Lower Property Value – Forbearance can impact the appraised value, which makes it more difficult to sell. Buyers may hesitate to purchase a property worth less due to the forbearance period.
- Negative Perception – Buyers may perceive a property during a forbearance period as financially unstable. This can make finding a buyer and negotiating a favorable sale price difficult.
Steps in Selling When in Mortgage Forbearance
Determine The House ValueIf you ask yourself, can I sell my house, the first step in selling your home is to determine its value. You can consult a housing counselor or realtor to assess the value of your property. This determination will help you set a reasonable price and ensure you are not selling your home for a low or unrealistic price. Many homeowners opt for reliable cash buyers.
Communicate With Your Mortgage LenderOpenly communicate with your lender when selling a house in forbearance. Discuss your outstanding mortgage payments, new payment amounts, and possible repayment schedules.
Hire a Real Estate AgentSelling a house on the market can be a complex process, especially when dealing with forbearance. If you choose to take this direction, hiring a reputable realtor experienced in these situations can help ensure a smooth sale. They can also help you navigate the various legal and financial aspects of selling a property in forbearance.
Consider a Short SaleWhen you owe more on your mortgage than your home is worth, you may consider a short sale. A short sale occurs when you sell your house for less than the remaining balance. While this will result in a loss for the mortgage lender, it may be a more financially viable option than foreclosure.
Be Honest with BuyersWhen selling a house while in forbearance, be honest with potential buyers about your situation. This transparency can help build trust and ensure that the sale goes smoothly. Buyers may be more willing to work with you if they understand the circumstances of the sale. Although selling a house while in forbearance can be challenging, it is not impossible. Through these steps and seeking expert advice, you can successfully sell your house while managing your financial obligations. Remember to clearly and consistently speak to your mortgage lender and potential buyers, and always work with professionals who understand your situation.
Making Mortgage Payments During Forbearance Without SellingMortgage forbearance can provide much-needed relief for homeowners and landlords facing a financial situation, but it’s necessary to understand that forbearance is not forgiveness. Eventually, you will need to repay the missed mortgage payments. This is a common misconception among many homeowners. Through a lender’s approval, you can find various mortgage relief options.
1. Lump Sum PaymentIf you miss payments during forbearance, you can always repay those monthly payments through a lump payment. In this payment option, you make all your missed payments at once. While this may not be feasible for everyone, this option is ideal for those with the means to do so.
2. Repayment PlanA payment plan is an agreement with your mortgage lender to repay the monthly payment amount during or after a forbearance period, usually 3-6 months. Repayment plans can help homeowners and landlords catch up on missed payments without requiring a large lump payment.
3. Mortgage Loan ModificationA mortgage loan modification is a change to the original loan terms of your mortgage to make it more affordable. This adjustment can include lowering the original monthly payment amount, extending the mortgage loan term, or adding missed payments to the end of the loan. A mortgage loan modification can help homeowners and landlords struggling to make each monthly payment even after the forbearance period ends. Modification is one way to address an unaffordable old monthly payment value. A deferral or partial claim may accompany loan modification.
4. RefinanceRefinancing your mortgage can help you make missed payments by replacing your current monthly payment total with a new one with better terms and a lower interest rate. Refinancing can lower monthly mortgage payments and help you catch up on missed payments. Forbearance can offer temporary relief to homeowners and landlords facing financial hardship, but they will have to make the missed payments eventually. Speak with a reputable mortgage bankers association, HUD-approved housing counselors, or real estate agency to determine the best course of action for your situation. In many cases, cash buyers are ideal.
Why Sell a Home in Forbearance to Cash Buyers?Cash buyers are fast, hassle-free, and generally trustworthy. Here are the main reasons to sell to cash investors.
Speedy SaleSelling your home while in forbearance or before forbearance ends can be tricky. Traditional home sales take months to finalize, which may not be an option for those in financial distress. Cash buyers can usually close quickly, sometimes within a week or two, providing a faster and more efficient sale process.
Avoid ForeclosureSelling your home during a forbearance plan to a cash buyer can help you avoid foreclosure. Foreclosure can negatively impact your credit score and make it hard to secure financing in the future. Selling your home to a cash buyer can provide a way out of the forbearance period and help you avoid foreclosure.
Sell As-IsCash buyers often purchase homes as-is, meaning you don’t have to make any repairs or updates to the property before selling. These unconditional purchases can benefit those who may not have the funds or resources to make necessary repairs.
No Commission or Closing CostsWhen you sell your home to a cash buyer, there are often no commissions or closing costs included. The money saved on such expenses can amount to thousands of dollars in fees you would have otherwise paid in a traditional home sale.
Cash PaymentCash payments can provide financial relief and stability during a difficult time. What is your mortgage payoff amount? What other debts do you have? How far behind on payments are you? Regardless, you can benefit from cash sale proceeds.
Sell Your Home in Forbearance with EASE in 2023Rather than type sell house while in forbearance Tennessee in Google and spend hours researching – why not turn to the team sellers trust most? At My Tennessee Home Solution, our veterans understand struggle and circumstance. We know that life comes at you fast, so we make selling a home while in forbearance as easy as possible. Whether you are in a tough financial spot, have outgrown the property, have begrudgingly inherited the property, or anything else, our seasoned cash buyers can help. No commissions, no months of waiting, and no need to repair or modify. We can make a quick, as-is fair cash offer on your property in just days. The closing date is up to you. Your terms, your schedule, your cash. All you have to do is submit an online form or give us a ring. We’ll visit the property address and make you a no-obligation offer in writing hassle-free. Reach out today and let’s help you sell that home in forbearance fast.
Get Cash Offer Now!
We want to ensure that you have all the information needed to make the informed decisions when it comes to selling your house fast. When you enter your info below you will get instant access to the Off Market Home Sales Guide.